Description of Office
The Lemhi County Treasurer also serves as ex officio Public Administrator and ex officio Tax Collector (§31-2001, Idaho Code).
For your convenience NEW! Online Payments directed over the secure server by Point and Pay.
The Treasurer’s duties are to (pursuant to §31-2101, Idaho Code):
Receive all monies belonging to the county, and all other monies by law directed to be paid to the Treasurer, safely keep the same, and apply and pay them out, rendering account thereof as required by law.
- File and keep certificates of the auditor delivered to the Treasurer when monies are paid into the treasury.
- Keep an account of the receipt and expenditure of all such monies that are documented in books provided for the purpose in which must be entered the amount, the time when paid, from whom, and on what account all monies were received by the Treasurer.
- Keep the Treasurer’s books in the way that the amounts received and paid out on account of separate funds or specific appropriations are exhibited in separate distinct accounts, and the whole receipts and expenditures shown in one general or cash account.
- Enter no monies received for the current year on account with the county for the past fiscal year, until after annual settlement for the past year has been made with the Lemhi County Auditor.
- Disburse the county monies only on county warrants issued by the Lemhi County Auditor, based on orders of the board of commissioners or as otherwise provided by law.
The Treasurer may receive no monies into the Lemhi County Treasury unless accompanied by the certificate of the Auditor (§31-2103, Idaho Code) and must issue receipts for all money collected (§31-2104, Idaho Code).
The books of the Treasurer are to be open to the Lemhi County Commissioners, the Auditor, and the Grand Jury (§§31-2122 & 2123, Idaho Code).
The Treasurer, as ex officio Tax Collector, duties are as follows:
The Lemhi County Treasurer/Tax Collector must mail a tax notice to every taxpayer or his agent or representative. The content of the notice is approved by the State Tax Commission (§63-219, Idaho Code). The deadlines for mailing the notices, information required on the notice (including the different payment options), and length of time the receipts for payment of taxes must be retained are found in §63-902, Idaho Code.
- The Lemhi County Treasurer/Tax Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes on real and personal property, taxes on harvested timber; collection of special assessments for water districts, fire protection districts, local improvement districts, translator districts and other entities as approved by the Legislature and the Lemhi County Commissioners.
- Special provisions are made for the collection of taxes on personal property and transient personal property (§63-904, Idaho Code). This covers the consequences of delinquency, taxes made on demand, issuance of “warrants of distraint” and the allowance of extensions or barring of extensions for payment.
- The Lemhi County Treasurer/Tax Collector is responsible for duties spelled out in Title 63 of the Idaho Code.
|Kammy McFarland||County Treasurer||(208) 742-1694|